Monday, December 12, 2016

Cinemagraphs




I decided to do a cinemagraph of a water fountain, because I found the motion of flowing water to be interesting. I has several ideas about using a spoon or other object in a stream of water in a sink, but decided that a water fountain would look more interesting.

The main problem I had was trying to hide the person walking in the background. I wanted them in the background of the photo, but not visible in the video. As they walked behind me, there's a small gap between my arm and the wall where you can see their legs as they walk past, but I need this section to show the video because the path of the water goes directly through it. I ended up just having to cut the video shorter so they didn't walk through that section.



For my second cinemagraph, I wanted to include some of my friends from lunch because  thought it would be a good opportunity to make something interesting. I started thinking about the process I used to make the first cinemagraph and realized that it allowed the potential to make more complex and interesting pieces that had multiple sections. I don't know if this is technically a cinemagraph anymore, but it taught me a lot about the capabilities of this process in photoshop.

The problems I had were because my camera was on the same table that I was filming. This meant that as people shifted and put weight on the table, it would flex and the camera shifted slightly. I tried to correct this by duplicating the video and shifting it up one pixel as the angle shifts slightly, which worked ok, but would work better if I put more time into it. It's most noticeable on the wall in the background, but it's kind of small and difficult to see unless you know what to look for, so I decided it wasn't worth fixing.

No comments:

Post a Comment